Tuesday, September 12, 2017

How to Talk So Kids Can Learn - Reading Together - The Parent-Teacher Partnership


THE IDEAL CONFERENCE

Instead of starting with what’s wrong…

1. START BY DESCRIBING SOMETHING RIGHT.
Teacher: I enjoy Sam’s thoughtful questions.
Parent:  Sam liked the lesson you gave on rockets.

Instead of pointing out what the child hasn’t done …

2. DESCRIBE WHAT THE CHILD NEEDS TO DO.
Teacher:  Sam needs to make up all the work he missed the week he was out sick.
Parent:  I think he’s feeling overwhelmed. He can probably use some extra help to catch up. Instead of withholding information…

3. SHARE PERTINENT INFORMATION.
Parent:  He used to play outdoors when he got home. Now he just sits in front of the TV.
Teacher:  I see him yawning a lot lately in class. Instead of giving each other advice…

4. DESCRIBE WHAT HAS WORKED AT HOME OR IN SCHOOL.
Parent:  Ever since he’s been sick, he seems to do better if he takes a short break every fifteen or twenty minutes.
Teacher:  I notice he has more energy after recess. Instead of giving up on the child…

5. DEVELOP A PLAN TOGETHER.
Teacher:  I’ll ask another student to help Sam with the work he missed. And I’ll see to it that he takes more frequent breaks.
Parent:  And I’ll make sure he watches less TV and gets some fresh air and exercise. Instead of ending on a negative note…

6. END THE CONFERENCE WITH A POSITIVE STATEMENT THAT CAN BE REPEATED TO THE CHILD.
Teacher:  Tell Sam I have confidence that he’ll be able to make up all his work. Also tell him that I enjoy having him in my class.
Parent:  I will. I know he’ll be glad to hear that. Instead of forgetting the plan after the conference…

7. FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE PLAN.
Teacher:  Jeffrey has been helping Sam and he’s almost all caught up. He also seems to have more energy lately.
Parent:  My husband has started jogging and Sam has been joining him.

(locations 2480-2507, Kindle Edition)

-----
You just finished reading How to Talk So Kids Can Learn - Reading Together - The Parent-Teacher Partnership.
Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter!
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...