Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ideas for Reward Charts

I was out running errands this past week and came across a section of back-to-school supplies (already!). 
After getting over the shock of feeling like the summer is flying past, I spent some time looking at what was available.  I came across the individual reward sheets pictured here.  And, I felt like they were perfect for my piano students. 

I'm planning on have one sheet for each student, and when he accomplishes his weekly goal of practice time, he'll get a sticker.  Once he has filled his entire sheet, he'll be able to pick out a prize.  Guess I'll have to make a trip to the dollar store to stock up!

I like the fact that each student will be able to move at his own pace - some of my students are not very faithful in practicing.  However, it will still give each one incentive and a goal to work towards. 

Question for you: Do you reward your students for their practice?  If so, how?  If not, why not?

2 comments:

  1. I used to do something very similar in my studio but I found that usually one of two things would happen; they became 'clock watchers' and would diligently practice their required amount but usually without any focus and little results or they would frequently be dishonest and just tick the box (I would often have them ask for a pencil while waiting for their lesson and they would tick all the boxes!). So I switched to a result driven reward scheme, whereby they get to put a sticker on a chart every time they completed a song.
    The theory here is that they can't complete the song unless they have a) practiced b) done what I have told them and c)thought about a goal when they are practicing.
    At the end of the day, practicing is about what you achieve, not whether you have done it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...