Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Art of Practicing - Reading Together - Three Styles of Struggle

Each musician struggles in his musical pursuits and practice. Understanding those struggles is key to helping us develop our abilities and musicianship.

"The three psychological styles are (1) overstated passion, in which we cling to the music; (2) avoidance, in which we resist dealing with the music; and (3) aggression, in which we attack the music." (loc: 1892)

"Spontaneity is a tricky concept. It’s different from impulsiveness. Impulsiveness comes from habit: 'I’m mad at him, so I’m going to yell.' Or, 'This music is problematic, so I’m going to push myself harder.' That’s impulsive. Spontaneity is the freedom not to follow every single impulse. We have so many impulses that if we followed all of them, we’d be making trouble everywhere we go. By noticing destructive impulses and not giving in to them, we open a space for a fresh, creative impulse to arise instead of a habitual one." (loc: 2001)


note: I'm reading this book from through my Kindle app, so quotations are shown by the location in the Kindle document.

-----
You just finished reading The Art of Practicing - Reading Together - Three Styles of Struggle.
Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter!
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...