Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Music as a Language - Reading Together - First Lessons to Beginners in Ear Training

Home outlines how to begin teaching ear training to new students.

Some points that stood out to me:
  • "In beginning the work in staff notation the notes of the scale will be thought of as steps in a ladder. In all keys, when doh is on a line, me and soh are also on lines, and high doh is on a space; but when doh is on a space, me and soh are on spaces, and high doh is on a line." (loc: 260)
  • Once the students know the diatonic notes of the C major scale well, they expand beyond that knowledge. The sharpened fourth, the flatted seventh, and the sharpened fifth are all introduced, since these lead into modulations to the dominant, subdominant, and relative minor keys.
  • Even though Home uses these exercises and teaching points for singing, they could very easily be adapted for use with beginner piano students.

note: I'm reading this book from through my Kindle app, so quotations are shown by the location in the Kindle document.

-----
You just finished reading Music as a Language - Reading Together - First Lessons to Beginners in Ear Training.
Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter!
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...