Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Essential Opera - Reading Together - Part 1

I hope you enjoyed this week's reading. I definitely learned a lot about the history of opera and its beginnings.

The article begins with a very brief overview of the history of opera. I thought it very interesting to see how Schütz, Lully, Purcell, Handel, and Mozart all significantly shaped the genre.

I also found it fascinating that while the genre began in the 1500s, that it has continued to develop and been used to even the 21st century.

So, what is your favorite opera?
I'll start off with mine. I first heard part of Massenet's Thais when I was in college. A couple of years ago I was able to see the Metropolitan Opera's HD broadcast of the opera at my local movie theater. It was gorgeous!
In fact, if you live near a movie theater that offers the Metropolitan Opera's broadcasts, I highly recommend them.

Leave your comments and impressions below. And, don't forget to read the second installment for next week.

-----
You just finished reading Essential Opera - Reading Together - Part 1.

Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter!

Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...