Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Guitar - Exercise for Fingering

As I teach my guitar students, I find that they can always use more practice to develop finding individual notes on the guitar.  Having them practice scales works well, but that only helps them with notes that are located next to each other.  I've started assigning practice that involves using notes from individual chords.

Example:
I assign the student to work on the C major chord.  I have the student practice the following as quickly and smoothly as possible: C (on string 5), E (on string 4), C (on string 5), G (on string 3), C (on string 5), C (on string 2), C (on string 5), E (on string 1), C (on string 5), G (on string 1)

To add variety, you can have the student practice this exercise backwards.  Of course, you can also use this exercise for any other chord.

If you use this exercise with your students, I'd be glad to hear your feedback on it.  What was your experience with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...