Monday, March 28, 2011

Drills - Can They Really be Fun?

Learning to play an instrument is just like any other learned activity - it takes practice, it takes commitment, and it takes time.  One of the best ways to build up your skills is by drills.  Sports teams do this all the time - and music players should as well.  However, it seems that most students dread drills, so here's a way to make those drills a little more fun.  I'm sure this idea is not unique to me, but I wanted to just share some of the ideas I have come up with.

I have a small stack of 3 x 5 cards.  I have each action below listed on of the cards. 
  • Play a major scale.
  • Play an arpeggio.
  • Identify the key signature (of the piece you are working on)
  • Name the notes (select a certain section of the piece you are working on).
  • Name the intervals (select a certain section of the piece you are working on).
  • Name the chord (select a certain section of the piece you are working on).
  • Clap the rhythm (select a certain section of the piece you are working on).  
  • Sightread a section.

The cards are all laid out face down, and I have my student select one card.  (note: you can also do this for yourself, if you are working on drills on your own)  The student then does whatever is on the card.

If you want to make it more competitive, you can challenge the student to see how many cards he can finish in a set amount of time.  


What other actions would you include on your cards?  Share them below in a comment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...