Tuesday, August 1, 2017

How to Talk So Kids Can Learn - Reading Together - How to Deal with Feelings That Interfere with Learning

I've really been enjoying this book and have found it quite helpful so far. I've decided to post the summaries located towards the end of each chapter, because they will help me to remember the main points.

CHILDREN NEED TO HAVE THEIR FEELINGS ACKNOWLEDGED
At Home and in School

Instead of dismissing the child’s feelings, you can:

1. IDENTIFY THE CHILD’S FEELINGS.
“You sound very disappointed. It can be upsetting when you know the answer and lose points for careless mistakes.”

2. ACKNOWLEDGE THE CHILD’S FEELINGS WITH A SOUND OR WORD.
“Oh” or “Mmm” or “Uh” or “I see.”

3. GIVE THE CHILD IN FANTASY WHAT YOU CAN’T GIVE HIM IN REALITY.
“Wouldn’t it be great if you had a magic pencil that would stop writing if you were about to make a mistake!”

4. ACCEPT THE CHILD’S FEELINGS EVEN AS YOU STOP UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR.
“You’re still so angry about that grade, you’re kicking your desk! I can’t allow that. But you can tell me more about what’s upsetting you. Or you can draw it.”

(locations 330-343, Kindle Edition)

-----
You just finished reading How to Talk So Kids Can Learn - Reading Together - How to Deal with Feelings That Interfere with Learning.
Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter!
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...