Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Helping Children Succeed - Reading Together - Messages and Mindsets


"Moments of failure, Farrington believed, are the time when students are most susceptible to messages, both positive and negative, about their potential. If they hear the message that a failure is a final verdict on their ability, they may well give up and pull back from school. But if instead they get the message that a failure is a temporary stumble, or even a valuable opportunity to learn and improve, then that setback is more likely to propel them to invest more of themselves in their education."
(page 75, Kindle Edition)

"She distilled the voluminous research on student mindset into four key beliefs that contribute most significantly to students’ tendency to persevere in the classroom: I belong in this academic community; my ability and competence grow with my effort; I can succeed at this; and this work has value for me."
(page 78, Kindle Edition)

-----
You just finished reading Helping Children Succeed - Reading Together - Messages and Mindsets.
Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter!
Connect with me on Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...