- Pick a starting note and then pick an interval to play from that note.
- Pick a new interval to play from the last note you played. (You should have played a total of three notes now.)
- Play the three notes in the order that you had them from steps 1 and 2. Add a new note.
- Play the four notes in the order that you had them from steps 1 - 3. Add a new note.
- Continue to repeat the process, adding a new note every time.
Here's a variation (no pun intended!) on this idea. Play through the sequences for your student and have him name each new interval that is added.
This exercise can also be used to practice improvisation.